Having a confident smile is the best way to exude confidence, be more attractive to others, and even turn your mood around! By investing in your oral health and aesthetics, you're on your way to a beautiful smile that will help you present your best self. If looking great and feeling great is on your agenda, make sure to take these tips on board!
1. Get the basics down pat
If you’re here, you’re probably after more than just some basic info, but to cover your bases, you need to make sure you’re getting the basics right.
If you need the reminder:
- Floss daily
- Brush your teeth 2-3 times daily
How to brush your teeth properly:
- Aim your toothbrush towards the gum line, at a 45-degree angle
- Use circular and gentle motions on the outsides of the teeth.
- On the chewing surfaces, use a back and forth motion (but keep it soft!)
- Brush for 2-3 minutes
Remember: Don't keep putting the dentist off! While many of us would rather be doing almost anything else but sitting in a dentist chair, the more you put it off, the worse your problem can get. Catching issues before they snowball out of control is the key to longevity of your healthy teeth and gums!
While you're here, sorry to be the fun police, but here's a reminder that those fizzy drinks and sugary snacks are no good for you. Limit your intake of acidic and sugary foods, and have plenty of teeth-friendly foods like greens, crunchy veggies, healthy oils, meats and fruits like apple (it contains natural fluoride).
2. Don’t like the way they look? You can change them
Nowadays, there are many options for upgrading your teeth. From orthodontic braces to clear aligners, crowns, veneers and implants, there are many ways to improve the look of your smile.
Though you don’t need perfect teeth to be your most attractive self, there are many benefits to straightening your teeth:
- Straighter teeth can make you feel more confident
- You can enjoy clearer speech
- Greater dental hygiene, as it’s easier to keep your teeth healthy and clean
- Fewer cavities and less bad breath!
- You can avoid some teeth and jaw issues that come with misaligned teeth, such as gum recession, tissue and bone damage and even chronic pain such as headaches.
- Feel great about your smile – the ultimate mood booster!
3. Love coffee and wine? Think about whitening
When your teeth are white, you can enjoy a new level of confidence. If you book in for a regular check-up and clean (dentists recommend every six months), you’re on your way to a better smile already. A thorough clean can get rid of surface stains and make your teeth look whiter and brighter. However, teeth whitening procedures will give you deeper and longer lasting results. Whether you opt for professional teeth whitening or DIY home teeth whitening kits, make sure you do your research. Getting your teeth whitened in a dentist chair can be costly but can give you greater peace of mind to get the best results possible.
Warning: teeth whitening can worsen teeth sensitivity! To make sure you avoid the pitfalls of this procedure, always follow the dentist’s instructions and that of your DIY kit. Never leave the product on longer than it needs to, and be careful not to get the product on your gums. One of the reasons dentist teeth whitening is more expensive is because they are specifically molded for your teeth, which can reduce sensitivity as the product won't leak onto the gums
Products to assist surface stains:
- Toothpaste (natural whitening) by Comvita
- My Magic Mud Whitening Tooth Powder With Activated Charcoal
4. Manage your stress
Stress is a big one for all of, and unfortunately, it’s not going away any time soon. When you succumb to stress, your whole body suffers. Not only can you accelerate the ageing process, but you’ll also find yourself more susceptible to dental issues as well.
Stress can be a cause of teeth grinding, or bruxism, which can occur at any time but happens commonly at night. Over time, this can lead to headaches, teeth sensitivity and even a cracked tooth!
Stress can also prompt you to eat more sugary foods, which in turn wear down your teeth and promote cavities. When you're under lots of pressure, you're more likely to self-medicate with staining drinks like coffee and wine! You’re also more likely to skip or do a poor job with brushing and flossing, leaving you prone to decay and gum disease.
Ways to manage stress:
- Start a journaling practice
- Turn off social media 2 hours before bed
- Keep a set time for sleep and waking
- Schedule all your concerns to 15 minutes of 'worry time'
- Connect with a support network: whether it be at work, with family, or friends
- Regularly use deep breathing and meditation methods
- Do exercise that you enjoy
- Eat a nourishing, whole foods diet
- Stress Ease Adrenal Support by Herbs of Gold
- Stress & Anxiety by Fusion Health
- Adrenal Switch by Switch Nutrition
5. Invest in quality oral care products
Your mouth microbiome is a delicate structure which can be thrown off with harsh ingredients. What products you use matters! We source only the best, natural ingredients to help you get the most out of your beautiful smile. Many commercial products contain ingredients that can disrupt the good and bad bacteria in your mouth. By opting for the natural route, you'll have a way to keep your mouth fresh and clean over the long haul!
- Dr. Bronners All-One Toothpaste
- Dentaforce Herbal Mouthwash by Vogel
- My Magic Mud Breath Spray
- Hurraw Night Treatment Lip Balm (don't forget hydrated lips!)
By regularly making oral care a priority, you can enjoy the best smile possible for a long time to come. Having an attractive smile will make you feel more confident, which will benefit you in every area of life. By using these tips, you'll be on your way to your best smile yet!