Leading the way with Natural Whey
by Greg Haglund - QLD Sales Manager from Flush Fitness
If, like me, you are an educated consumer then you already know the many benefits of whey protein for health, fitness, detoxification, immunity, muscle recovery, weight loss and more. This is the basis of why we already supplement with whey protein.
But are you making the right choice when it comes to brand? Not all whey is created equal and the natural market is all about detail.
Here is your check list for choosing the best Natural Whey:
- Cold Processed – Many of the key nutrients found in grass fed whey are fragile and can be denatured along with the protein if processed using a high heat filtration. You would be wise to choose a cold filtered Whey Protein Isolate.
- Naturally Sweetened– I know it’s near impossible to avoid all man made synthetic ingredients in our food supply and environment. So where possible I try to minimize my exposure. Choosing to use a naturally sweetened and flavoured protein is a great place to start.
- Isolate – There are many different types of whey on the market. Whey powder is generally high in a sugar called lactose which can be hard to digest. Processing this into a WPC (Whey Protein Concentrate) helps to reduce the lactose and fats but a portion still remains. The most pure and cleanest form of whey is an Isolate. WPI (Whey Protein Isolate) is the lowest in lactose and fat and will yield the greatest amount of pure quality protein. Often people say they can’t tolerate dairy. The real problem is generally the lactose and therefore a WPI, naturally low in lactose, will be a perfect choice.
- Soy Free – Instantisation is an important process in the manufacturing of Whey. It allows the protein to mix in water without lumping into a chunky mess. 99% of companies use a soy lecithin to achieve this but soy comes with its own host of issues. Now you can get a natural WPI that uses Sunflower Lecithin. This is a much safer and healthier option. Make sure to ask for this!
- Taste – You can use an unflavoured WPI in your smoothies but what happens when you want a quick shake mixed with water straight after your workout or in the office when you are having a busy day and don’t have time to stop for a snack or meal? You need a great tasting protein. Natural can taste great too! Not all companies have got it right but now you can get a 100% natural, stevia sweetened and with no after taste for that perfect mix in water shake.
Personally, I use About Time WPI as it ticks all the boxes above. I have tried many different natural proteins and while some are great in a smoothie when using a blender they just don’t mix or taste right when shaken in water straight after my workout. About Time comes in great tasting flavours and I have managed to create a lot of different food recipes using this protein also. Simply replace your sugar or sweetener and part of your flour with a few scoops of Natural Whey in baking or pancakes or mix a half scoop into Greek yogurt and top with berries!